5 toxic ornamental plants for our furry friends

The use of ornamental plants for the decoration of houses and apartments is very common, since they captivate us with their colors and beauty and give life to any environment. However, what many people do not know is that there are toxic ornamental plants for dogs and cats , even leading to death.

It is very common for domestic pets to eat plants or grass and that could lead to a series of problems. However, this does not mean that those who have animals in their home cannot have plants. But the choice of plants must be careful or they will have to be placed in places that are difficult for them to access.

We recommend you read:  Poisonous plants for dogs

We list 5 toxic ornamental plants for our furry friends

1. Dieffenbachia

The beauty of the foliage of this species and the popular belief that it protects the home are factors that make dieffenbachia easily found in any home. However, it has toxic substances such as calcium oxalate that irritate the mucosa of animals and humans. Poisoning can occur through ingestion of any part of the plant or through contact with the skin. Symptoms range from mucosal irritation to suffocation and death, causing severe pain.

2. Well maidenhair

The adiantum capillus-veneris is widely used as a medicinal plant and by popular belief to ward off the evil eye . Ingestion of the plant (especially sprouts) can cause cancer in animals.

3. Anthurium

It is one of the most popular indoor plants in the world, with beautiful deep red flowers and bright green foliage. In all its parts, it has an active ingredient that is dangerous for the health of animals, known as calcium oxalate. The main symptoms are burning mucous membranes, swelling of the mouth, lips and throat, suffocation, nausea, salivation, vomiting and diarrhea.

4. Poinsettia

Euphorbia pulcherrima has a toxic milky sap , which in contact with the skin of animals can cause skin lesions and conjunctivitis. Its ingestion causes vomiting and gastroenteritis in puppies and cats.

5. Sword of Saint George

Sansevieria trifasciata has highly toxic substances . Difficulty breathing due to irritation of the mucosa and intense salivation are some of the ills that this plant can cause in animals.

Do you have any of these toxic ornamental plants in your house? Now that you know what complications they can cause in your pets, what precautions will you take? Leave your comments.

Related posts

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

Botón volver arriba