Gardening

Plants toxic to pets

Plants are very beautiful and no one doubts it, but if you have pets and small children in your home, it is important that you keep them away from them, since there are some very common toxic plants that you may find in your yard and you do not know it. . Keep reading to know some of them.

We recommend you read:  The Azalea will give your garden an explosion of color

Azalea

Considered a symbol of the city of São Paulo, Brazil, the azalea is easily found in homes as an ornamental plant. Its active principle is andromedotoxin, a substance that, when ingested, can cause digestive disorders for up to 6 hours after consumption, in addition to causing cardiac dysfunction.

Crown of christ

It is a well-known thorny shrub found on sidewalks and gardens. Euphorbia milii has a toxic substance that when in contact with the animal, either through the skin or by ingestion, can cause inflammatory reactions such as pain, inflammation and redness.

Oleander

Widely used as an ornamental plant in gardens, the oleander, also known as Nerium oleander, flower laurel, trinitaria or laurel rose, is one of the most dangerous toxic plants, since it contains various toxic substances in all parts of the plant. These active principles can cause diarrhea, vomiting, dyspnea, arrhythmias, paralysis, coma and death in humans and domestic animals. The symptoms of oleander poisoning can be observed from 1 to 24 hours after ingestion.

Lily of peace

The spatifilo wallisii has all its toxic parts . Ingestion can cause oral and mucosal irritation, eye irritation, difficulty swallowing and even respiratory problems in more severe cases. Alterations in kidney and neurological functions may also appear.

Desert rose

Adenium obesum is native to Africa, but has spread throughout the world. Used centuries ago as a poison for spears and arrows, the toxicity comes from the sap of the plant. The poison of the desert rose is widely used by African tribes to kill large animals . The plant has a chemical called ouabain that causes almost immediate respiratory failure in high doses. If she is already capable of killing large animals, imagine what she can do with small animals and humans.

It is important to remember that in case of poisoning, even if you do not know what has done wrong to your pet, you should take it to the vet and inform him of what types of plants you have in your house. Thus, the professional will be able to more easily identify what may be the cause of the poisoning and alarm you about the toxic plants that you must eliminate from your garden, or keep them in a place where your pet cannot go.

Related posts

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

Botón volver arriba